Centuria Corporation is seeking a Patent Classifier II to review Patent Applications received from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). This position is located in Harissonburg, VA.
The classifier will provide expert guidance and advice on both the patent classification process and USPTO procedures. Additional daily duties will include, but are not limited to assigning work/rework, reviewing work, providing expert advice and feedback, providing on-the-job training, providing analysis of USPTO feedback, developing responses to USPTO quality feedback, providing expert technical counseling, monitoring team morale and conducting and/or assisting in special projects where necessary. Must be able to thoroughly understand and explain the patent classification/examination process, conduct research and written responses related to a broad range of technical issues. Works proactively to identify, report, and monitor trends and recommends new approaches to improve quality, process and cost inefficiencies.
Area of Expertise:
- Industrial Chemistry – industrial processes including molding, coating, printing, chemical etching, printing, gas and liquid separation and purification, distillation, electrolysis. Industrial products and materials including metallurgy, batteries, stock materials.
- Computer Science – databases, cryptography, software, dynamic storage, data processing, security, hardware, e-commerce.
- Communications - networking, pulse or digital communication, telephony, multiplex communication, wireless communication systems, optical communication.
- Audio/Visual and Applied Physics – optical devices and components, imaging and displaying, television, radiant energy, lighting, acoustics.
- Electronics and Semiconductors - semiconductor devices & manufacturing processes, electronic circuitry, power systems and control, electrical devices and components.
- Mechanical Engineering – mechanical fasteners, machine elements, measuring and testing, tools, fluid
- Civil Engineering and Transport - aeronautical, marine and land vehicles, buildings, bridges, roadways, vehicle drive trains, weapons, engines, earth working.
- Human Necessities - medical/surgical procedures and devices, animal and plant husbandry, cleaning, fiber treatment, amusement, furniture, containers, packaging, apparel.
. Essential Duties and Responsibilities may include (Production 95%):
- Classify applications related to specific technologies in order to meet baseline expectations in quality and production.
- Use automated systems to perform research and classification operations.
- Work closely with others in a team environment.
- Participate in training to expand knowledge and expertise into new technologies.
- Participate in process improvement related projects.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred in Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and/or technological discipline related field, or equivalent mix of education and experience.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Requires 2+ years experience
- Technical expertise and/or familiarity in an area(s) of expertise indicated above.
- Ability to function in a production-based environment, including operating accurately and at a significant pace.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- The ability to multitask, think on the go and adapt to changing situations.
- Demonstrated experience performing computer based research.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work on a computer workstation 8+ hours per day.
Security Clearance: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Applicant must be a United States citizen. EOE M/F/D/V